How I justify time spent blogging:

When Alzheimers has completely overtaken me, I'll read, re-read, and three-read my blog to relive all the marvelous moments I had with my wonderful kids! And when I'm at the computer, and I should be making a meal or fulfilling my obligation to family in some other way, it comes in handy to be able to say "I'm busy chronicling the lives of our children!"

Road Trip Time Saving Trick

So we are on our road trip to California, and barely an hour into it, Kenzie starts in with the: "How much longer till we get there?" questions. She is understandably excited...we are, after all, on our way to Disneyland...but -- Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!! We still have 12 hours to go!!!!!

Kenzie is almost eight years old, so it's not unreasonable to expect that her grasp of the concept of time include accepting that it would be MANY HOURS before we were even close to our destination. After the fifth inquiry inside of half an hour we felt justified in getting annoyed by her continued asking! Mummy suggested that she might want to try and take a nap, and explained that while she is sleeping, time will seem to move faster and it will feel like we get there sooner. Another idea we had was to show her the green mileage signs and offered to help her track the miles left to go. She opted to play the mileage sign "game". She then proceeded to patiently watch like a hawk for the mileage signs and relay the latest number of miles to go while I logged them. This did the trick and we were merrily on our way...

A week later, after all sorts of fun, we were headed home again. Mummy made an offhand comment to Daddy about how the drive home always seems longer than the drive to get there -- a short moment later, Kenzie very sweetly offered "Mummy? If you want, I will take a nap so that the trip won't seem so long for you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment